Stuart Drug Crime Attorney
A Local Defense Lawyer with 25+ Years of Experience Handling High-Profile Cases
From the illegal possession of marijuana and controlled substances to allegations of obtaining prescription drugs by fraud, Lance P. Richard, P.A. is highly experienced in representing individuals charged with drug offenses and in providing sufficient legal defenses to these charges. If you are facing drug charges, a knowledgeable criminal defense attorney like Attorney Richard is crucial for obtaining a positive outcome and avoiding maximum penalties. Both Florida and federal laws enforce harsh penalties for drug crime convictions, and you will need dedicated and aggressive defense representation to navigate your case.
Before making any statements to the police, contact Lance. P. Richard, P.A. to discuss your defense options and best next steps.
Drug Cases Lance P. Richard, P.A. Handles
Lance P. Richard, P.A. defends clients against a range of drug charges in both state and federal court, including:
- Drug possession: Marijuana possession, cocaine possession, controlled substance possession, narcotics possession, and other illegal prescription drug possession
- Drug possession with the intent to distribute: Felony drug trafficking charges and possession with the intent to sell or distribute cocaine, heroin, marijuana, and illegal prescription drugs and narcotics
- Obtaining prescription drugs by fraud: Doctor shopping, obtaining narcotics without a valid prescription, and prescription drug fraud
- Drug manufacturing: Manufacturing methamphetamines (crystal meth), MDMA (ecstasy), and other synthetic drugs or narcotics
Florida’s Possession Laws
In order to constitute a crime of drug possession in Florida, the alleged offense must involve the following elements:
- The controlled substance was illegal. The prosecutor must show evidence (usually through scientific analysis by a crime lab) that the seized substance is an illegal controlled substance defined by Florida law.
- The defendant had knowledge of the drug. The prosecutor must prove that the defendant knew or should have known about the illegal nature of the controlled substance and its presence.
- The defendant had control over the drug. The prosecutor must show that the defendant had control over the presence and location of the drug, such as if the defendant had the substance on their body or in a container they held.
Florida criminalizes drug possession based on the type of drug and the amount in question.
The penalties can range from the misdemeanor level to the felony level:
- First-degree misdemeanor (up to one year in jail, mandatory treatment, court costs and fees, and/or home detention for up to one year)
- Possession of up to 20 grams of illegal marijuana
- A fourth misdemeanor possession offense
- Third-degree felony (up to five years in prison)
- More than 20 grams of illegal marijuana
- Up to 28 grams of cocaine
- Up to 10 grams of MDMA
- Up to one gram of LSD
- Up to four grams of heroin
- First-degree felony (up to 30 years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines)
- More than 25 pounds of illegal marijuana
- More than 28 grams of cocaine
- More than 10 grams of MDMA
- More than one gram of LSD
- More than four grams of heroin
Drug Cultivation and Manufacturing
Florida also heavily punishes the cultivation and manufacturing of illegal substances, and it is a felony to do so. Marijuana cultivation is a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in jail and up to $5,000 in fines, while manufacturing other controlled substances is a second-degree felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison and up to $10,000 in fines.
The penalties may be enhanced to the next higher felony level if the cultivation or manufacturing activities occurred within 1,000 feet of a school, childcare center, public park, or other community recreational facility.
The following activities associated with the cultivation and manufacturing conduct can also warrant additional penalties:
- Possessing listed chemicals used to cultivate or manufacture substances
- Renting a building, room, or structure to manufacture or cultivate substances
Defend Against Your Charges
Drug cases often involve violations of your Fourth Amendment rights that protect you from unlawful searches and seizures. Lance P. Richard, P.A. is experienced in these types of cases and is knowledgeable of the many techniques and strategies involved in defending drug-related charges.
Whether the best strategy for your drug crimes defense is asserting your Fourth Amendment rights or proving your medical necessity for certain prescription drugs, Lance P. Richard, P.A. can help you combat your drug charges.
Contact Lance P. Richard, P.A. today for an initial consultation.
No matter kind of accident you're dealing with, you need an attorney who has the experience and track record to achieve the best results for you and your family.
- $687,000 Motorcycle Accident
- $300,000 ER Malpractice
- $255,000 Dog Bite Injury
- $275,000 Boating Accident
- $475,000 Boating Accident
When you hire Lance, you will never be alone. He is passionate about the success of his clients, remaining by their side from beginning to end. Although winning their case is his primary focus, it is also important to him that all his clients' needs are taken care of during the entire legal process. Read about how others feel about working with Lance.
“Compassionate and dedicated 100%!”- Melissa Messina
“Lance won’t quit till you get the results that you want.”- Donnie Sievers
“Absolutely awesome attorney.”- Amelia Deluna
“I can't say enough about Lance!”- Ariella Ela
“The outcome was better than anyone anticipated.”- Michael Boland
Lance has been helping people successfully navigate the complexities of the legal system for over 25 years. When you hire him, you don't just get an attorney, but a true partner who is committed to ensuring your best interest in passionately pursued. Contact us today - we'd love to hear how we might be able to help you through this difficult time.
Over 25 Years of Experience
Have Successfully Handled High-Profile Cases
Highly Personalized Approach
Hundreds of People Helped