Boating Accident Laws in Florida Are Unique and Different
Boating accidents involve a wide variety of watercraft including: sailboats, yachts, cabin cruisers, personal watercrafts, jet skis, air boats, canoes, kayaks, inflatable and semi-rigid inflatable boats and center console runabouts. The owner and operator of a boat or watercraft may be negligent and, therefore, responsible for an occupant’s injury or injury to the occupant of another vessel under many circumstances, including:
- Operating at a high speed;
- Collisions with other watercraft;
- Impacting a fixed object, such as a pier or bridge;
- Hitting a wave or wake at an unsafe speed or angle;
- Ejections from the boat due to improper operation or navigating in bad weather;
- Coming in contact with propellers;
- Failing to keep a lookout while underway or while skiing or tubing;
- Overcrowding and Overloading; and
- Boating under the Influence in violation of Florida’s BUI Law.
Boat operators have a duty to operate “their vessel in a reasonable and prudent manner with regard for other vessel traffic, posted restrictions, the presence of a divers-down flag and other circumstances” to ensure the safety of other boaters, guests, and property.
Many boating accidents in Florida occur on "navigable waterways" which are governed under the jurisdiction of Federal Maritime law. Often these cases have very unique procedural rules and special laws which can have a significant impact on the outcome of your case. You need a legal team that is experienced and knowledgeable with these types of cases. Our firm handles lots of boating cases and we often co-counsel with Attorney Joanne Foster from our neighboring Stuart law firm of Guy, Yudin, and Foster. Joanne is Board Certified in Admiralty and Maritime Law and together we have successfully obtained excellent settlements and awards for our clients who were severely injured in boating accidents.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a boating accident, it is critical that you consult with an experienced Florida boating accident lawyer promptly. Call us now to learn more about how our firm can help you successfully resolve and receive just compensation for one of these unique and difficult cases.